Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Makeup on dark skins

I had heard that lighter eyebrows look nicer on dark skins but i think this is a bit much.


Yesterday’s class was about make-up on dark skins. What an eye opener.
The first thing you’ll notice when applying makeup on dark skin is that the colors, once applied, seem to disappear into the skin leaving but a hint.

Of course, you have many shades to dark skin and I am talking more of a medium dark to a very dark for right now.

 To sum up the lessons learned yesterday:
1)      Use a lot of product & use it without fear -  you have a lot of play room, believe me.
2)      Use bright, vivid colors; they look beautiful on dark skin when well blended.
4)      Darker colors tend not to show as you’d expect them to, be ready to work them in.
4)      Try the colors on your model’s hand first; you’ll notice your palette will look quite different.
5)      Use matte products freely as darker skins tend to be normal to oily.
6)      Using too light a color may turn out grayish, a red primer would be a way to counteract this.

(I was going for a top ten but i came short :(  if you know of anymore tips, leave comments and help me out)

The forehead and chin tend to be darker than the rest of the face. Some Makeup Artists prefer to match the colour to the lighter of the two. Some prefer the opposite. I actually like the outcome of both.
But as anything else, the preference of the model/client takes precedence here.

An amazing powder our teacher introduced us to, was called:  “Cocoa powder". It's a type of coppery cocoa color that does wonders on dark skin, it is to be used as a loose powder of some sort, or perhaps even as a powder foundation with a brush. I'll get the exact details in my next class and if I get the "okay" from my teacher and classmates, I'll add some pictures we took in class that day.


Blog soon,

Sahar






No comments:

Post a Comment