Saturday, January 29, 2011

Get to know your Beauty Icons


First assignment as Make-up Artists-to-be (as per my teacher) is to get to know the
beauty icons of past and present so that when used as reference points,  you don't fall into panic mode and excuse yourself to the nearest bathroom stall to secretly google/wiki said reference on your smartphone-du-jour.
Makes sense right? But, like everything else of great value, easier said than done.
At first i thought to myself: piece of cake. I mean, there can't be that many icons I don't know about and plus, time flies when you learn interesting things. But then I opened the book and guess where it begins?
- The 1950s you say?
- Try again.
- The 20s?
- Nope.
- The Medieval times?
- You're getting warmer
- Eve?
- The same Eve that took a bite out of the apple? I'm impressed you would go that far back but NO!
- You are now thinking to yourself: "Surely not B.C."?
- As in BEFORE CHRIST? And right you would be! In fact, try 4000 years B.C..
Eh oui, that's how far my teacher wants us to venture out and venture we will.
I promise I'll cover them all in more detail but here's a sneak peak in case you wanted to search for them yourself:

Egypt 4000 B.C
Cleopatra


Cleopatra (ok so they had no cameras back then, sue me)
 

Geece 300 - 100 B.C.
Venus DE Milo
Venus DE Milo

Rome 100 B.C. - 100 A.C. 
N/A

Medieval Times 1000 - 1453
Mary and Eve

Italian Renaissance
Botticelli's Venus


Botticelli's Venus
 

XV and XVI century
Queen Elizabeth I - The shaved hairline and no eyebrow look? :/


Cate Blanchett as Queen Elizabeth I
 

XVIII Century
Josephine
Madame de Recamier
Marie-Antoinette (oh, i know her, the "let them eat cake queen ;)
Madame DE Pompadour
Madame DE Pompadour

Mid-XIX 
Sissi
Madame Moitessier
Princesse De Broglie


Princesse De Broglie
 

Victorian Times - end of the 19th Century
Queen Victoria I


Emily Blunt as Queen victoria
 

1900s
Colette
Sarah Bernhardt
Sarah Bernhardt

1910s
Thedra Bara
Mary Pickford


Mary Pickford
1920s
Louise Brook
Josephine Baker
Josephine Baker

1930s 
(finally, names i recognize)
Greta Garbo
Marlene Dietrich
Jean Harlow
Jean Harlow

1940s
Lauren Bacall
Veronica Lake
Rita Hayworth

Rita Hayworth

 



1950s
Marilyn Monroe
Jayne Mansfield
Elizabeth Taylor
Ava Gardner
Audrey Hepburn
Dovima
Suzy Parker
Jean Patchett
Bettina Graziani
Bettina Graziani

1960s
Jean Shrimpton
Penelope Tree
Peggy Moffitt
Nico
Jean Seberg
Jane Birkin
Twiggy

Twiggy


1970s 
Farah Fawcett
Donna Summer
Sid Vicious
David Bowie
Kiss  (?Really? I didn't see this one coming!)
Lauren Hutton
Bo Derek
Veruschka
Veruschka

1980s
Cindy Lauper
Boy George (makes sense i guess)
Nina Hagen
Grace jones
Jerry Hall
Brooke Shields

Brooke shields


1990s
Kristen McMenamy
Julia Roberts
Demi Moore
Kate Moss


Kate Moss


2000s
Jennifer Lopez
Shakira
Britney Spears
Paris Hilton
Beyonce
Beyonce

2010s
Lady Gaga
Rihanna

Rihanna


Secretly googling the names whilst hiding in the bathroom isn't sounding too bad to me now - who's with me? 
Blog to you soon, 

Sahar

2 comments:

  1. Awww so happy ! Great post ! Very educational and funny =)

    Keep writing,

    Bisous de Montréal,

    Marjorie xoxo

    www.marjoriescloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So....officially my first blogging session......very interesting topic....pretty educational however im sure i would have to google most of these ppl but its good to get an idea of these names considering i do make-up myself....furthermore, you always wanted to have a blog and im glad that its about make-up.....funner than anything else.....ps my request....more colourful pictures pls

    will be checking on u my lovely cuz xoxox


    Venus

    www.venusartist.com

    ReplyDelete